Acronis, a global company co-founded by serial entrepreneur Serguei Beloussov – founder of Parallels, has announced the acquisition of BackupAgent, a cloud backup provider in the Netherlands. Over time, BackupAgent’s solution will be powered by Acronis AnyData Engine technology.
BackupAgent, founded in 2005 and named by Deloitte as one of the fastest growing technology companies, brings on board years of cloud backup expertise, an existing network of over 900 active service provider partners and over 50 thousand small and medium business customers across the world.
“I am happy to hear that BackupAgent and Acronis are joining forces,” said Jason Frisch, CEO of Tsukaeru.net, a Japanese cloud provider with thousands of users and a BackupAgent partner since 2010. “We’re excited to see what happens next, with the additional support, resources and technologies that Acronis can provide.”
With the acquisition of BackupAgent, Acronis would enable service providers to offer a very complete cloud backup solution to customers of any size.
“We are excited to join forces with Acronis; this acquisition fits perfectly within our expansion plans,” said Roland Sars and Robbert van Geldrop, founders of BackupAgent. “Becoming part of Acronis supports BackupAgent’s vision to become the world’s leading cloud backup player. This acquisition will bring only good to our service providers, as they become part of a worldwide ecosystem of thousands of channel partners.”
Over time, BackupAgent’s solution will be powered by Acronis AnyData Engine technology, allowing service providers to deliver new generation data protection technologies via a cloud backup solution to their customers, including:
- File-level and full-system backup for desktops and servers, for Windows, Mac and Linux platforms;
- Backup of physical and virtual servers, supporting all popular hypervisors: Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware vSphere, Citrix XenServer, RHEV/KVM, Oracle VM;
- Context-aware backup for business applications: Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Active Directory, SQL Server;
- Support of multiple-destination for data storage: on-premises, in a service provider’s cloud, in the Acronis Cloud, in a public cloud, as well as any mix of those destinations based on customer preference and sensitivity of data;
- Wide variety of backup and storage policies for data to ensure the required level of protection and compliance with local government requirements;
- Ability to do disaster recovery in the cloud, avoiding downtime.
Service providers will also benefit from the long-standing partnership between Acronis and Parallels, leveraging the full integration of BackupAgent solutions with Parallels Automation, empowering Parallels-enabled service providers to quickly deploy a cloud backup offering to their customers at a very low cost of entry.
“According to Parallels SMB Cloud Insights research, data backup and recovery is one of the top three most demanded services,” said Birger Steen, CEO of Parallels. “With this acquisition, service providers using Parallels Automation for cloud service delivery will now have the most complete and reliable backup solution to offer their customers.”
Founded in 2002, Acronis is a fast-growing company with more than 650 employees in 18 countries and partners in almost every country in the world. The company provides backup solutions for desktop, server, virtual and cloud environments as well as file sharing and sync solutions for mobile devices.