Alibaba Cloud and VMware have announced the launch of Alibaba Cloud VMware Service, a jointly developed public cloud service. With Alibaba Cloud VMware Service, enterprises across China can accelerate enterprise cloud transformation to support digital innovation.
Alibaba Cloud VMware Service is operated by Alibaba Cloud, part of Alibaba Group. The service combines the power of the complete VMware Cloud stack with the infrastructure of Alibaba Cloud to improve performance, availability, security, and workload density. Clients can utilize a standardized VMware Cloud platform that allows for seamless vMotion transfer of workloads to Alibaba Cloud VMware Service.
Alibaba Cloud VMware Service enables Chinese businesses to migrate and update applications more quickly and shift workloads smoothly between on-premises VMware infrastructures and Alibaba Cloud at scale.
“In today’s app-driven economy, more and more Chinese enterprises are adopting a hybrid cloud model to accelerate their digital transformation,” said Mark Lohmeyer, senior vice president and general manager, Cloud Infrastructure Business Group at VMware. “Alibaba Cloud VMware Service helps customers modernize applications, infrastructure and operations faster with demonstrable economic benefits and less risk.”
“Alibaba Cloud VMware Service enables enterprises to seamlessly migrate workload to cloud and reduce the costs of both operations and migration,” said Ms. Lijuan Chen, Vice President of Alibaba Group. “It also helps enterprises leverage leading cloud technologies to further unlock the benefits of digital transformation.”
Alibaba Cloud VMware Service is an appropriate cloud platform for running corporate applications, thanks to the integration of VMware’s revolutionary technology with Alibaba Cloud services. It would feature the following:
- Enterprise-Grade Compute, Storage, Networking Capabilities – Customers’ corporate applications would benefit from this platform. High availability, robust security, and granular resource control are incorporated into the basic VMware Cloud infrastructure for business-critical/tier-1 applications.
- Unified Infrastructure and Management – Infrastructure and operations that are consistent. With unified VMware Cloud architecture and management running and functioning across on-premises and Alibaba Cloud environments, clients can achieve high visibility and automation while supporting both VMs and containers.
- Security and Disaster Recovery – With speedier recovery outages, clients can better secure applications and workloads; create an offsite disaster recovery site to protect VMs running any operating system or application; achieve fast and predictable recovery time objectives (RTOs); and automate disaster recovery workflows to cut costs. To ensure business continuity, the service conforms with China’s cybersecurity rules and delivers exceptionally high security and availability.
- Comprehensive App Modernization Platform – Clients can accelerate the modernization of corporate applications to achieve a rapid route to production for applications; combine Kubernetes, popular developer tools and frameworks; and create access to native Alibaba Cloud services.
- Attractive TCO – Reducing migration expenses up front and ongoing operating costs. The value of the underlying hardware resources is maximized by using familiar vSphere features. On-demand capacity expansion depending on business demands is possible thanks to advanced infrastructure. Moving vSphere workloads to non-vSphere public clouds would save money on retooling, re-platforming, and retraining.
- IT Operations Efficiency – Years of VMware experience have resulted in skills that are readily transferrable to Alibaba Cloud VMware Service. To handle the radically different operational processes necessary for hosting conventional or cloud native applications in a VMware-based public cloud, no retraining or new employees would be required.