Cranfield University, a UK-based specialist postgraduate university offering education and transformational research in technology and management, has selected cloud data management company Rubrik to protect their on-premises and cloud workloads, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL, and VMware.
Cranfield University delivers academic courses in 50 countries outside of the UK, as well as executive development to over 15,000 people. To keep pace with its rapid expansion and groundbreaking data-intensive research, the university wanted to make the shift to cloud in order to replace costly hardware and provide greater resilience. However, migrating to the cloud with its previous backup vendor required building an entirely different infrastructure – a time-intensive process that would result in complex management and slower recovery.
Through its integration with Microsoft Azure, Rubrik is delivering an all-in-one data archival and disaster recovery to the cloud solution that has reduced the university’s backup management time by 83% and data center footprint by 75%.
Since deploying Rubrik’s cloud data management solution, Cranfield University would have benefitted from:
- Reduction in total cost of ownership – Achieved significant cost savings in licensing fees and eliminated renewal fees for software licenses.
- Faster backup and recovery performance – All of the university’s service-level agreements (SLAs) are now met and instantly replicated to Microsoft Azure. Using Rubrik’s Google-like search, Cranfield can quickly find individual files, directories, or entire VMs and recover data in a matter of minutes, as opposed to hours via with its previous vendor.
- Oracle RMAN integration – With SLA policy automation and incremental-forever backups with a faster point-in-time recovery for Oracle workloads, the university achieved significant management time savings.
- Accelerated compliance – Rubrik’s end-to-end encryption helps the university to meet GDPR compliance.
- Reduction in data center footprint – Cranfield University is saving significantly on power and cooling.
“As a leading global research institution, we need forward-thinking and agile technology within our infrastructure and Rubrik is a key piece of that puzzle,” said Edward Poll, Head of IT Infrastructure at Cranfield University. “Rubrik‘s easy integration with cloud helps us achieve cloud savings today, while building future cloud infrastructure for disaster recovery. It’s given us simpler, faster and more reliable backup, recovery and cloud archival.”