Hewlett Packard Enterprise (NYSE: HPE) has announced the immediate availability of HPE Haven OnDemand, an “innovative” cloud platform that provides advanced machine learning APIs and services that enable developers, startups and enterprises to build data-rich mobile and enterprise applications.
Delivered as a service on Microsoft Azure, HPE Haven OnDemand provides more than 60 APIs and services that deliver deep learning analytics on a wide range of data, including text, audio, image, social, web and video.
HPE first pioneered this effort in December 2014 with the beta launch of HPE Haven OnDemand. Today, HPE Haven OnDemand has more than 12,750 registered developers who currently generate millions of API calls per week, and have provided feedback to improve and refine the offering.
“The software industry is on the cusp of a new era of breakthroughs, driven by machine learning that will power data-driven applications across all facets of life,” said Colin Mahony (@cpmahony), Senior Vice President and General Manager, HPE Big Data, Hewlett Packard Enterprise. “HPE Haven OnDemand democratizes big data by bringing the power of machine learning, traditionally reserved for high-end, highly trained data scientists, to the mainstream developer community. Now, anyone can leverage our easy to use cloud-based service to harness the rich variety of data available today to build applications that produce new insights, differentiate businesses, delight customers and deliver competitive advantage.”
HPE offers a flexible approach that starts as a freemium service, enabling development and testing for free, and extends to a usage and SLA-based commercial pricing model for enterprise-grade delivery to support production deployments. Some of the capabilities offered by HPE Haven OnDemand would include:
- Advanced Text Analysis – extracts the key meaning from language by employing concept extraction capabilities that go beyond traditional approaches to obtain key concepts, entities and sentiment from text sources.
- Format Conversion – provides key functions to access, extract and convert information wherever it lives by supporting an extensive set of standard file formats and the ability to employ optical character recognition to extract text from an image.
- HPE Haven Search OnDemand enterprise-search-as-a-service – delivers cultivated search across on-premise or cloud data to deliver context-sensitive search results.
- Image Recognition and Face Detection – enables applications to detect specific image features and code around human-centric use cases to identify the gender of an individual or key information such as a brand logo from within an image.
- Knowledge Graph Analysis – automatically delivers insights and predictions related to relationships and behavioral patterns among people, places and things. These capabilities would be very useful for analyzing social media and related data.
- Predict and Recommend – enables developers to view patterns in business data to optimize business performance and build a set of self-learning functions that analyze, predict and alert based on structured datasets.
- Speech Recognition – employs advanced neural network technology to transcribe speech to text from video or audio files with support for over 50 languages.
HPE has fostered a global community of developers that use HPE Haven OnDemand through an active global hackathon program and comprehensive resources, docs, tutorials, code libraries and quick-start materials.
The developer community has provided vital feedback to help HPE optimize the offering, and has leveraged HPE Haven OnDemand to create hundreds of innovative applications. A few examples include:
- Ayni – a startup that won the Hack4Europe 2015 challenge created an app for facilitating cultural exchange and foreign language education using HPE Haven OnDemand. The app uses HPE Haven OnDemand’s speech recognition API to create text transcripts of live audio streams.
- Blink – a ‘speed dating’ mobile app startup, Blink connects people in real time, enabling live-stream video chats. The app leverages HPE Haven OnDemand face detection and image recognition APIs to enable a more human dating app experience.
- RingDNA – an enterprise provider of advanced inside sales is using HPE Haven OnDemand machine learning APIs to power part of their ‘conversation analytics’ capabilities. HPE Haven OnDemand allowed RingDNA’s developers to get up and running and explore a wide number of recipes and algorithms that were flexible and powerful enough for our enterprise customers.
Available Globally via the Microsoft Azure Public Cloud, all HPE Haven OnDemand APIs and Services are hosted on Microsoft Azure, leveraging the Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Microsoft strategic alliance around Azure, announced in December 2015.