At VMworld 2014, VMware has announced new virtualization, cloud management and integrated OpenStack innovations for implementing a software-defined data center. The innovations announced would expand customer choice by supporting open frameworks, as well as hybrid cloud hosting environments based on VMware and non-VMware technologies.
“Empowered by software-defined technologies, businesses are now able to move with dramatic speed,” said Pat Gelsinger, chief executive officer, VMware. “This ability to drive real impact has made the software-defined data center mainstream among leading businesses.”
VMware’s new innovations for the software-defined data center include:
- VMware Integrated OpenStack – a new solution that would enable IT organizations to quickly and cost-effectively deliver developer-friendly OpenStack APIs and tools on top of their existing VMware infrastructure. VMware Integrated OpenStack is expected to be available in the first half of 2015.
- VMware NSX 6.1 – new capabilities for VMware NSX include advanced network micro-segmentation capabilities, improved hybrid cloud connectivity, equal cost multi-path (ECMP) routing and VMware vCloud Automation Center 6.1 integration. VMware NSX would offer several advantages over traditional network security approaches, including automated provisioning, automated move/add/change for workloads, distributed policy enforcement at every virtual interface and in-kernel, scale-out firewalling distributed to every hypervisor and baked into the platform. VMware NSX 6.1 is expected to be available in Q3 2014.
- VMware vRealize Suite – combining the capabilities of VMware’s existing cloud automation, cloud operations and cloud business management solutions into a single offering under the new VMware vRealize brand, VMware is delivering a complete software stack for managing a software-defined data center and public cloud hosting infrastructure services (IaaS). VMware vRealize Suite is expected to be available in Q3 2014.
- VMware vRealize Air Automation – this is the first in a family of new as a service (aaS) cloud management offerings. Offered initially as a qualified beta, VMware vRealize Air Automation is a new subscription service that will enable customers to automate the delivery and on-going lifecycle management of application and infrastructure services while maintaining compliance with IT policies.
- VMware vCloud Suite 5.8 – this is an integrated offering for building and managing a VMware vSphere private cloud based on a software-defined data center architecture. The newest release of vCloud Suite 5.8 includes: 5x the scale of protection – IT organizations can set up recovery plans scalable up to 5,000 virtual machines per VMware vCenter Server using array-based replication to enable enterprise-level protection; five times larger than with previous limits. Additional integration – this offers customers self-service access to provision predefined disaster recovery protection tiers to new VMs via blueprints in VMware vCloud Automation Center when using array-based replication. VMware vCloud Suite 5.8 is expected to be available in Q3 2014.