CloudLink, formerly AFORE Solutions, Inc., a provider of cloud security and data encryption management solutions, has announced CloudLink SecureVM with Microsoft BitLocker encryption for Amazon AWS cloud hosting environments. This provides organizations with the opportunity to secure their virtual desktop and server virtual machines (VMs) with native Windows encryption tools.
While BitLocker encryption is widely used in the enterprise, it relies on hardware Trusted Platform Modules (TPM) or USB drives to store encryption keys. In virtual and cloud environments, BitLocker cannot access hardware TPM and USB devices, which prevents BitLocker encryption of boot volumes. SecureVM extends BitLocker to virtual and cloud hosting environments by emulating TPM functionality in software, giving organizations centralized management over encryption keys and the ability to encrypt their virtual machines independently of AWS.
“Cloud security is a top priority for many enterprises, and CloudLink‘s unique and innovative approach allows customers to Bring-Their-Own-Security to AWS while leveraging the company’s existing data security technology and operational expertise,” said Alex Berlin, CEO of CloudLink. “SecureVM also provides Managed Service Providers, VAR’s and System Integrators reselling AWS cloud hosting services with a compelling data security solution that will help fuel cloud adoption and produce incremental revenue opportunities.”
The benefits of SecureVM to AWS customers would include:
- Boot volume encryption secures data stored on Windows instances’ C: drives and Linux instances’ root partitions.
- Data volumes assigned to an instance can be encrypted and additional volumes can be encrypted as they are added.
- Comprehensive security controls, including volume encryption and VM integrity verification against unauthorized modifications.
- Encryption key management remains under the control of the enterprise, including the ability for the encryption key store to reside within the enterprise data center.
- Decreased security deployment complexity and operational costs by leveraging embedded operating system encryption tools and avoiding changes to how data is stored.
- Hybrid cloud encryption management platform that supports all major cloud including Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, and VMware vCloud Air, as well as other private and public cloud hosting environments.