With the worldwide introduction of its G4 rack power distribution unit (PDU), intelligent power management manufacturer Eaton has unveiled a new, “cutting-edge” rack power distribution solution for data centers and edge facilities. The G4 enables data center operators to install a single PDU across multiple sites, “saving time, money, and simplifying power management by meeting the power needs of a wide variety of equipment and facility types.”
“The growth of Generative AI, cloud and hybrid IT architectures, edge computing and other trends has accelerated the demand for versatile approaches to power management in data centers globally,” said Richard Varela, Global Product Manager at Eaton. “The goal of our new G4 rack PDU is to satisfy the demands of data center operators for increased dependability and efficiency in PDU deployment on a worldwide basis. Additionally, clients may feel more confident knowing that Eaton is at the forefront of cybersecurity and that their sensitive data is protected from intrusions.”
The G4 rack PDU from Eaton may be of interest to businesses with large, distributed IT infrastructures that want to maximize PDU procurement and deployment while maximizing equipment use.
Eaton G4 rack PDU Features
Key features of the G4 rack PDU, which comes in 30 different variants including corded and universal input types, would be as follows:
- Universal input models feature a PDU chassis that can be paired with any one of 17 removable input cables with 15 different plug types to streamline PDU procurement and deployment, enabling users to standardize global projects on a single PDU.
- Versatile C39 outlets accept both C20 and C14 input plugs
- Hot-swappable gigabit network module (GNM) supports performance management software for real-time reports, trend charts, dashboards, and alerts
- Supports 24 to 48 outlets across corded and UPDU models
- A networking card with both UL 2900-1 and IEC 62443-4-2 third-party cybersecurity certifications
- Dual GbE ports allow up to 40 PDUs to cascade from a single network port
- Chain-of-trust encryption and secured firmware boot capability prevent the G4 PDU from being a cyberattack vulnerability point on a network
- The network card can only be upgraded with genuine encrypted Eaton firmware at no cost to the user
- Managed versions provide precise control over power distribution and granular power statistics by enabling metering and switching at the outlet level
Eaton’s Brightlayer Data Centers software package is compatible with G4 rack PDU metered and managed variants. When combined, these hardware/software solutions provide customers the ability to automate processes like graceful shutdown during power outages to safeguard data and maintain business continuity, as well as remotely manage and monitor extensive, multi-site PDU installations.
The G4 rack PDU is now generally available. More information can be found at Eaton.com/G4.