Enterprise Postgres company, EnterpriseDB, has announced worldwide availability of its EDB Postgres Platform 12. This new version includes performance updates to the company’s open source flagship database management system (DBMS) and tools.
“Postgres has never been hotter both in terms of its end user adoption and technology momentum,” said Ed Boyajian, president and CEO of EnterpriseDB. “We are obsessed with helping our customers get to value faster with Postgres. Our engineers continue to set the standard for Postgres innovation in response to the needs of enterprises.”
Postgres 12 would improve performance for partitioned tables and support for standard SQL and JSON path expressions. EDB Postgres Advanced Server (EPAS) 12 database builds on these features with:
- An automated interval partitioning feature that makes it possible to accelerate access to large data volumes for analysis. The partitioning feature can, for example, be useful for analyzing time series data for detecting fraud.
- Certification with other management tools, such as Veritas NetBackup, giving customers more choice in selecting their preferred data backup tool to use in combination with EPAS.
Platform and Tools Updates
EDB Postgres Kubernetes Operator adds support for EDB Postgres Advanced Server 12, which automates configuration of the database. Deploying and scaling on Kubernetes would be faster now for developers and DevOps teams. The Operator is part of EDB Postgres on Kubernetes, which provides high availability and disaster recovery (DR) packaged into Docker containers.
EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager now provides:
- An enhanced graphical user interface (GUI) to configure, schedule and restore backups.
- A new job scheduler feature that enables administrators to automate tasks that are performed on a regular basis and sends a notification to confirm when the job is complete.
- A new dashboard that allows administrators to much more productively manage multiple Postgres databases with visibility to all backups versus having to manage all of those separately.
EDB Postgres Failover Manager now uses more information from each standby of the database when choosing one to promote in the event of failover. This would help ensure that the standby with the most data available is promoted.
The EDB Postgres Migration Portal, a free online service, automates the process of moving Oracle databases to the EDB Postgres Platform. This update adds the following:
- A re-designed user interface that provides step-by-step, easy to follow instructions.
- New schema assessment software that reduces the time required to manually map objects and data types. The structure of the database, as defined by the Data Definition Language (DDL), can then be exported from Oracle to EDB Postgres.
EnterpriseDB is based in Bedford, Massachusetts. Over 4,000 EnterpriseDB customers worldwide deploy diverse workloads including transaction processing, data warehousing, customer analytics and web-based applications, both on-premises and in the cloud.