FortiGate 4800F is a 4RU firewall that has 400GE, 200GE, and 50GE ports, making it one of the fastest compact hyperscale firewalls in the industry with 2.4 Tbps of capacity. According to Fortinet, this enables hyperscale customers and mobile network operators to scale their businesses without experiencing any disruptions.
Fortinet’s FortiGate 4800F firewall, which is powered by 16 NP7s, would boast the greatest performance figures of any compact firewall. It would set new standards for security, scalability, performance, and innovation to satisfy the needs of hyperscale clients and 5G mobile network operators (MNOs).
“No other firewall is better suited to support hyperscale and 5G. Not only is FortiGate 4800F the industry’s fastest compact hyperscale firewall, with 2.4 Tbps of capacity, but it is also the only 4RU firewall on the market that includes 400GE, 200GE, and 50GE ports, which allows hyperscale customers and mobile network operators to seamlessly scale their business without disrupting operations,” said John Maddison, Executive Vice President of Products and CMO at Fortinet. “The combination of performance and scalability packed into our latest firewall will help future-proof organizations’ investments in hyperscale data centers, especially with the rise of 5G and as the volume and velocity of data continues to accelerate at an unprecedented pace.”
Securing 5G Networks
This most recent model of Fortinet’s flagship series of firewalls, with a 4RU firewall with 400GE, 200GE, and 50GE interfaces would give MNOs the following features to secure 5G networks:
- Accelerates 5G adoption with secured IP connectivity – 5G enables massive machine-to-machine communications that require secure IP connectivity to untrusted environments such as the internet, edge sites, and the cloud. The FortiGate 4800F provides MNOs with huge carrier-grade NAT (CGNAT) throughput, hardware logging, and security for IP access to external networks and domains. FortiGate 4800F would support 25 million connections per second to give MNOs the capacity they need to handle traffic surges and high sustained loads of subscriber connections, helping to build capacity that matches the needs of today and the future. Businesses that want ultra-performance can host on-premises applications, consolidate various firewalls into a single unified system, and provide the necessary user interface.
- Secures 5G radio access network (RAN) traffic and core connectivity – The FortiGate 4800F would offer a cost-effective security gateway (SecGW or SEG) to handle 5G’s RAN scalability and security needs for both user and control planes due to the increasing scale of 5G radio and the sharing of RAN across operators to cut costs.
FortiGate 4800F would also deliver hyperscale security for hyperscale data centers with the following capabilities:
- Enabling 400G ultra-fast data center interconnect – FortiGate 4800F’s 400GE ports and small 4RU form factor would allow businesses to connect and replicate data securely with ultra-fast elephant flows, while maintaining privacy and security to ensure that all data and services are delivered close to clients and business partners. Businesses that want ultra-performance can host on-premises applications, consolidate various firewalls into a single unified system, and provide the necessary user interface. FortiGate 7121F from Fortinet became the first manufacturer to offer 400GE ports on a hyperscale firewall in April 2021. FortiGate 3700F from Fortinet followed in May 2022.
- Removes blind spots with fast SSL inspection – Since up to 95 percent of today’s traffic is encrypted, SSL inspection has become essential for maintaining the network’s security. Although encrypted pathways are designed to increase traffic security, they can allow malevolent actors to cover their tracks. The FortiGate 4800F delivers both support for the most recent TLS 1.3 standard and the industry’s greatest SSL-inspection performance, enabling all encrypted traffic to be inspected while keeping up with the speed of today’s networks. By enabling complete sight of both clear-text and encrypted network flows, this would also guarantee the elimination of network blind spots.
- Secures hybrid IT architectures with VXLAN segmentation – Only hybrid IT architectures that seamlessly link and safeguard on-premises and cloud assets can enable digital acceleration, stated Fortinet. The FortiGate 4800F would offer massively scalable hardware-accelerated VXLAN segmentation and permits incredibly quick communication across extremely scaled services, such computation, storage, and applications, which are co-hosted on physical and virtual platforms.
The entire FortiGate suite of next-generation and hyperscale firewalls would support organizations of all sizes with the following features:
- High-performance security at scale – For data center edge and core deployments, FortiGuard AI-Powered Security Services would offer real-time protection against known, zero-day, and unknown threats, including IPS, DNS, AV, and inline sandbox, while leveraging segmentation and more granular device (OT/IoT), as well as web and application security capabilities for complete perimeter protection.
- Supports zero trust architectures with integrated universal ZTNA – In order to accommodate zero trust architectures, FortiGate has natively integrated ZTNA enforcement. Consistent policies and controls are set up with universal ZTNA using an on-premises or virtual FortiGate, across all operating environments, including various clouds.