Google has agreed to buy Mandiant, a pioneer in dynamic cybersecurity and response, for $23.00 per share in an all-cash deal worth $5.4 billion, including Mandiant’s cash. Mandiant will join Google Cloud when the transaction is completed.
Organizations are now confronted with cybersecurity threats that have increased in frequency, intensity, and variety, resulting in a global security imperative, according to Google. Enterprises must be able to detect and respond to adversaries quickly, analyze and automate threat intelligence to scale threat detection across organizations, orchestrate and automate remediation, validate their protection against known threats, and visualize their IT environment to identify and simulate new threats in order to address these risks.
By assisting enterprises in addressing and protecting themselves against entire classes of cyber risks while simultaneously fast speeding digital transformation, the cloud would promise a new method to shift the security paradigm, stated Google.
– story continues below the photo –
The acquisition of Mandiant would complement Google Cloud’s existing strengths in security. Google Cloud clients can take advantage of a wide range of services, including groundbreaking capabilities like BeyondCorp Enterprise for Zero Trust and VirusTotal for malicious content and software vulnerabilities; Chronicle’s planet-scale security analytics and automation, as well as services like Security Command Center to help organizations detect and protect themselves from cyber threats; and Google Cloud’s Cybersecurity Action Team expertise.
With the acquisition of Mandiant, Google Cloud will be able to provide a complete security operations suite with even more features to help clients in both cloud and on-premises settings.
“Organizations around the world are facing unprecedented cybersecurity challenges as the sophistication and severity of attacks that were previously used to target major governments are now being used to target companies in every industry,” said Thomas Kurian, CEO at Google Cloud. “We look forward to welcoming Mandiant to Google Cloud to further enhance our security operations suite and advisory services, and help customers address their most important security challenges.”
Mandiant would provide real-time and in-depth threat intelligence obtained through working on the front lines of cybersecurity with the world’s leading companies. The acquisition, when combined with Google Cloud’s cloud-native security capabilities, would assist companies around the world stay secure at every stage of the security lifecycle:
- Advisory Services – Customers can minimize threats and decrease business risk before, during, and after an event with Mandiant’s global experience in complete incident response, strategic preparation, and technical assurance
- Threat Detection and Intelligence – Customers may use Mandiant’s experience identifying and responding to sophisticated adversaries to gain meaningful insights into the threats that matter now
- Automation and Response Tools – Customers may use Google Cloud’s Chronicle, Siemplify solutions, and Mandiant’s Automated Defense to evaluate, prioritize, and simplify threat response, and Mandiant’s knowledge can be used as a virtual extension of their teams
- Testing and Validation – Mandiant Security Validation supports Google Cloud’s Security Command Center by allowing users to continually test and monitor the performance of cybersecurity rules across cloud and on-premises systems
- Managed Defense – Mandiant’s managed detection and response solution works as an extension of clients’ security teams, providing continuous monitoring, event triage, and threat hunting regardless of endpoint or network infrastructure
“There has never been a more critical time in cybersecurity. Since our founding in 2004, Mandiant’s mission has been to combat cyberattacks and protect our customers from the latest threats,” said Kevin Mandia, CEO at Mandiant. “To that end, we are thrilled to be joining forces with Google Cloud. Together, we will deliver expertise and intelligence at scale, changing the security industry.”