Software-defined storage platform Gridstore has announced full support for the new features being introduced by Microsoft in Windows Server 2012 R2 – with accelerated application IO and lower TCO. The Gridstore storage solution would complement the storage functionality in Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V through their patented Server-side Virtual Controller Technology (SVCT).
Gridstore 3.0 delivers scale out block storage to deliver impressive IOPS, throughput and massive linear scalability up to 3PB, in 12TB increments. The innovation that Gridstore storage brings to Microsoft environments includes simplified storage management per virtual server through Windows Server 2012 management, pay-as-you-scale in small, affordable increments and end-to-end storage QoS for each Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machine.
“Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V advances the groundbreaking storage functionality introduced in Windows Server 2012, and we are pleased that Gridstore is providing a storage solution that builds on that functionality,” said Brad Anderson, corporate vice-president, Microsoft. “Gridstore 3.0 addresses architectural issues between traditional storage and virtualized servers to help maximize application performance in a Microsoft Hyper-V environment at an affordable price point and with massive scalability.”
Key-features supported through this strategic partnership are:
- Cluster Support – Gridstore provides SCSI block devices that support Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) to a single Windows Sever, Hyper-V hosts, or Microsoft Scale-out File Clusters.
- Seamless Management per virtual server – Storage is easily managed from the GridControl MMC snap-in and storage services like snapshot, replication are managed through standard Microsoft tools such as Hyper-V Manager on a per VM basis.
- Storage QoS – Gridstore TrueQoS is Hyper-V aware so the I/O requests from each virtual machine are prioritized, based on the priority of the application to an organization, end to end, right down through the physical storage.
- Microsoft Hyper-V – Gridstore uses its unique software defined storage architecture to optimize the I/O performance of each virtual machine and then takes advantage of its H-Class Storage Nodes using flash as a cache to deliver the IOPS required for demanding Hyper-V environments or databases.
- SMB3 – Gridstore complements SMB3 with block storage, and takes advantage of the impressive advances made by Microsoft in its file storage stack and SMB3 protocol. The result helps assure an easier-to-administer, highly scalable and 100% compatible storage system.
- Storage Spaces – Gridstore storage is 100% compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces, minimizes cost and complexity, uses a standard Ethernet infrastructure, and scales linearly as Storage Nodes are added to the grid.
Do you want to stay ahead of the competition? Subscribe to our bi-weekly HostingJournalist.com email newsletter with breaking cloud, hosting and data center industry news.
- Koen Stegeman, Editor-in-Chief and CEO