EnterpriseDB (EDB), a provider of enterprise-grade Postgres products and database compatibility solutions, has released its EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5. The 9.5-version would increase performance and scalability, power more complex workloads, enhance security, and both expand compatibility with and facilitate migration from Oracle. EnterpriseDB has also announced its EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager 6.0, which is integrated into Postgres Advanced Server 9.
Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 features a range of enhancements for increased performance, scalability, security and manageability to ensure success with Postgres for business critical workloads. These enhancements include:
- Password profiles define rules for password complexity, reuse, expiration and more, increasing EDB Postgres’ support for security-critical applications, such as those complying with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS). Implemented in an Oracle-compatible syntax, EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 password profiles would expand the universe of migration targets, and allow continued use of the feature in Postgres Advanced Server for security-critical applications. Password rules based on complexity, reuse, expiration, and account ‘lock out’ would enhance EDB’s support for PCI DSS compliance.
- Vertical scaling optimizations would demonstrate that EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 shows significant performance improvements over v9.4. EDB conducted benchmark tests that showed EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 exhibits a 96% performance boost at 64 concurrent connections on a high-end server for read workloads. An increasing number of connections drove performance gain up to 133% on write workloads.
- New package support for UTL_RAW and DBMS_SESSION and expanded support for UTL_HTTP would make Oracle migrations faster and allow developers continued use of Oracle skills in new Postgres Advanced Server applications. In all, EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 supports 22 predefined built-in packages and 208 functions to support migrations from Oracle.
Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 also includes all of the new features contained in the recently released open source PostgreSQL 9.5. These include UPSERT, which helps with inserting data and managing conflicts; Block Range Indexes (BRIN) that speed the searching of extremely large tables; and Grouping Sets, Rollup and Cube, which, collectively, expand Postgres’ capabilities with high-performance analytic operations.
Enterprise Manager 6.0 Enhancements
Integrated into Postgres Advanced Server 9.5, EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager 6.0 now features expanded integration with other infrastructure solutions, new alert functions, and an improved alert user interface. Other EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager 6.0 enhancements include:
- Nagios support – Managing Postgres deployments can now be integrated with a leading open source infrastructure management and monitoring solution.
- Failover management – EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager is now fully integrated with EDB Failover Manager to help ensure high availability.
- Streaming replication wizard – With the new release, Enterprise Manager would provide easy-to-follow steps for launching and viewing streaming replication analysis from the dashboard.
- Audit log alerts and improved alert User Interface – DBAs can create alerts to audit log file activities, increase visibility into operations, and improve overall responsiveness. Overall alert user interface improvements also have made creating alerts simpler and given DBAs greater granularity.
To leverage the full value of EnterpriseDB’s Postgres Advanced Server and EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager solutions for enterprise deployments, these components are included as part of an EDB Postgres Enterprise subscription. This includes the EDB Postgres Advanced Server database, plus migration, integration and management tools for developers and DBAs, as well as 24×7 global support.