Juniper Networks has introduced the QFX10000 line of spine switches and the new Junos Fusion operating system for data centers to provide network scale and automation capabilities. The new offerings are designed to help public and private cloud customers, as well as traditional IT data centers deploy small to Internet-scale networks.
The QFX10000 are the first data center switches powered by Juniper’s new Q5 chip, a purpose-built ASIC that would enable high performance, port density and scale to grow cloud networks as business demands.
As organizations place more of their business assets, intellectual property and applications in public and private data centers and clouds, the network needs to scale rapidly and seamlessly to keep up with business growth. This is why data center networks are quickly outstripping the scale of 10G and 40G interfaces and moving to 100G networks. According to Dell’Oro, spending on 100GE capable networking equipment is expected to grow from just over $100M in 2014 to nearly $8 billion in 2019.
To address this challenge, the QFX10000 line of switches would offer customers 10, 40 and 100GE port density, as well as superior performance and total system scale. Together with the openness and automation capabilities in the Junos operating system, the new switches would ensure Juniper Networks’ customers can seamlessly scale their clouds and data centers while extracting maximum value from their network infrastructure well into the future.
The QFX10000 line and Junos Fusion for data centers are the latest addition to Juniper Networks MetaFabric architecture and can be deployed in traditional multi-tier networks, IP and Ethernet fabrics as well as fully virtualized networks to give customers complete deployment flexibility. The QFX10000 collapses spine, core and data center edge capabilities into a single platform that would significantly reduce network complexity and CapEx.
The Juniper QFX10000 line will include three platforms, all of which leverage the new Q5 chipset:
- Juniper QFX10002 – is a compact 100GE spine switch, delivered in a fixed configuration 2-rack unit form-factor with the ability for customers to upgrade seamlessly from 40GE to 100GE within the same switch.
- Juniper QFX10008 – is a modular, eight slot chassis that would deliver ground breaking 100GE port density and up to 48Tbps of total system capacity.
- Juniper QFX10016 – will deliver “unprecedented” system capacity of up to 96Tbps, combined with “leading” port density in a powerful 16-slot chassis.
Purpose-built Q5 Chip Would Deliver High Performance for Cloud Switches:
- The Q5 ASIC sits at the heart of the new Juniper QFX10000 switch line and offers deep telemetry capabilities that boost the analytics and automation of the QFX10000 line.
- With deep buffers and an architecture that supports diverse, demanding applications, the Q5 ASIC offers reliable performance, scalable virtualization for SDN, and logical scale for applications such as big data, video and IP storage.
- The Q5 ASIC employs hybrid memory cube technology, a highly advanced capability not found in merchant silicon.