As big data & analytics (as well as cloud hosting and services) are expected to drive hosting industry spending in 2014, according to IDC, hosting providers and enterprises would require higher performance storage solutions. That’s why Intel has designed the new ‘entry-level’ Intel RAID RS3 controllers, powered by LSI* Technology.
The new Intel RAID RS3 controllers would be able to meet the demands of I/O-intensive applications, cloud hosting datacenters and virtual server environments. Intel claims that businesses utilizing Intel RAID RS3 controllers as the basis for their storage infrastructure can achieve more than 1 million IOPs in JBOD mode1. With 12Gb/s SAS-3 technology, it would be able to accelerate business-critical applications in enterprise and cloud hosting datacenters.
3Gb/s, 6Gb/s, and 12Gb/s data transfer
Intel states that the 12Gb/s SAS-3 technology doubles the available bandwidth of current 6Gb/s SAS solutions and unlocks the full potential of PCI express 3.0-based systems and solid-state storage solutions. Since the greatly improved throughput and I/O processing capabilities maximize link utilization, it supports the highest performance SSD and increased scaling of traditional hard disk drives.
The new Intel RAID 12Gb/s controller RS3 family would also be perfect for 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s, since they provide a faster processor and allow for 12Gb/s data transfer when teamed with a SAS-3 compliant expander. This provides room to grow by paving the way for 12Gb/s infrastructures as server demands increase and technology progresses.
Key-features of the entry-level Intel RAID RS3 Controller would include:
- LSI SAS 3108 I/O processor supporting over 1 million IOPs1.
- Up to 2 internal High Density Mini-SAS connectors with up to eight ports of 12Gb/s bandwidth per port.
- Up to 2 external High Density Mini-SAS connectors with up to eight ports of 12Gb/s bandwidth per port.
- x8 PCI express connector with support for Generation 3 protocol.
- ‘Heartbeat’ LED for visual verification that the card is functioning properly.