A new global report commissioned by networking solutions provider Barracuda Networks reveals how IT decision makers around the world think about the public cloud, and challenges around accessing public cloud services, security and other public cloud topics. The survey was conducted by independent market researcher Censuswide among 800 executives, team managers and other profiles responsible for their organization’s cloud infrastructure.
The report named ‘Cloud networks; Shifting into Hyperdrive’ shows that more than three quarters of organizations use multiple cloud platforms, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Survey respondents came from organizations of all sizes in EMEA, APAC and the U.S., across numerous industries, including construction, education, financial services, healthcare, tech, manufacturing, retail and transportation.
The global survey among IT professionals reveals that they are becoming more confident in public cloud:
- Over three-quarters of respondents use multiple cloud providers, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform
- Nearly 80 percent say their organization has deployed an Azure-based network
- Organizations are running into limits when it comes to cloud access
- Over half (56%) of respondents struggle with availability and with “always-on” access to cloud applications for their organization
- Nearly 70 percent experience delays (latency) and performance issues with SaaS tasks, such as Office 365
- Using existing network infrastructure is becoming increasingly expensive
- Over 70 percent of respondents use traditional access methods in their organization’s network, such as MPLS (leased lines)
- Over 60 percent say the cost of MPLS is rising sharply, due to seasonal peaks in workloads.
- IT professionals are looking for easier and more economical connectivity
- Over 70 percent of respondents plan to implement an SD-WAN solution in the next 12 months to improve cloud connectivity
- 70 percent cite security as a major concern when implementing an SD-WAN solution
Also, nearly 60 percent say their organization is hesitant about using an SD-WAN solution because they believe it is complex and costly.
“As organizations radically transform their infrastructure and increasingly rely on the public cloud, they are running into new challenges around connectivity and security,” said Alain Luxembourg, regional director Benelux for Barracuda. “But with flexible and secure Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) solutions, organizations of all sizes can improve connectivity, simplify management and strengthen security.”