For enterprise and data center clients, KIOXIA America is sampling their 2nd generation PCIe 5.0 SSD. KIOXIA has announced the new CD8 Series data center NVMe SSD family after being among the first vendors to deliver a drive with the PCIe 5.0 interface. CD8 SSDs are targeted for hyperscale data center and enterprise server-attached applications, doubling the bandwidth per lane over PCIe 4.0 SSDs from 16 to 32 gigatransfers per second (GT/s).
“Today, PCIe 4.0 SSDs are considered at the forefront in terms of delivering the highest levels of drive performance,” said Greg Wong, founder and principal analyst, Forward Insights. “Next generation PCIe 5.0 SSDs provide twice the level of performance, and will continue to propel the PCIe/NVMe SSD market – which is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 20 percent out to 2026.”
The CD8 Series’ 7th generation enterprise SSD uses a proprietary KIOXIA controller and software in a 2.5-inch2, 15mm Z-height form factor, and is based on the KIOXIA 5th generation BiCS FLASH TLC 3D flash memory technology. The new drives are compliant with PCIe 5.0, Open Compute Project (OCP) Datacenter NVMe SSD, and NVMe 1.4 requirements, and are well-suited to high-performance computing, artificial intelligence, cache layer, multimedia streaming, and financial trading and analysis.
Servers, Storage, Data Centers
Key features of KIOXIA’s new PCIe 5.0 SSDs would include:
- Read-intensive 1 DWPD endurance, with capacities ranging from 960 gigabytes to 15.36 terabytes, is aimed at hyperscale and server-centric applications
- Mixed-use 3 DWPD endurance, with capacities ranging from 800 gigabytes to 12.8 terabytes, is aimed for corporate and write-intensive applications
- Delivers 7.2 GB/s sequential read throughput and 1.25 million IOPS random read performance
- Delivers a sequential write throughput of 6.0 GB/s and a random write performance of 200 K, up to 135 percent faster than the previous generation version
- Sanitize instant erase (SIE) and self-encrypted drive (SED) are two device security methods available in a 2.5-inch form size
“As a leading supplier of SSDs for enterprise server, storage, and data center customers, KIOXIA continues to build on its legacy of rapidly bringing to market next-generation PCIe technologies on the latest 3D flash memory lithography,” said Neville Ichhaporia, Vice President of SSD marketing and product management at KIOXIA America. “The CD8 Series offers improved write performance and consistent Quality-of-Service across a wide range of workloads, enabling enterprise and hyperscale data center customers to realize their application needs.”