Kubermatic, a multi-cloud and edge Kubernetes automation provider aiming at simplifying operations at scale, has released Kubermatic Kubernetes Platform 2.14 as open source under the Apache 2.0 Licence and has changed its name from Loodse.
Open sourcing Kubermatic’s core platform code would give IT operations teams everywhere the ability to fully automate the management of Kubernetes clusters across multi-cloud, on-premises, edge, and IoT environments in a single interface. Kubermatic is a Top-5 corporate committer to the Kubernetes Project after Google, VMware, Microsoft and Red Hat.
“After a decade of centralized cloud computing, the industry is at the beginning of the next cycle of decentralized computing, now at the edge,” said Sebastian Scheele, CEO of Kubermatic. “Edge computing will only be successful with complete automation of infrastructure and applications. Open sourcing Kubermatic Kubernetes Platform will allow end users to simplify Day 2 operations and accelerate their journey from the cloud, to the core datacenter, and up to the edge so they can focus on application development and innovation.”
Hybrid and Multi-Cloud
Kubernetes deployments would continue to increase in scale and shift towards hybrid/ multi-cloud and edge environments, leading to new challenges in application lifecycle management, security and governance, and consistency for operations and development teams. Kubermatic Kubernetes Platform addresses these complexities while delivering high availability and high density of Kubernetes master control planes and lowering costs for enterprise and telecommunications customers. Additional features would include:
- Support for all major public cloud providers including Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure, as well as KubeVirt, OpenStack and VMware vSphere environments.
- Automated lifecycle management with built in provisioning, scaling, updating, and clean up of clusters with an API call.
- Central self-service portal across multi-cluster, multi-cloud, and multiple regions to deliver Kubernetes-as-a-Service within short time to market.
- Multi-tenancy and user management with preset environments for distributed teams.
- Infrastructure Logging & Monitoring with Prometheus and Grafana.
Additionally, Kubermatic Kubernetes Platform now features Kubermatic Virtualization, a native KubeVirt integration for the simultaneous management of containerized and virtualized applications with Kubernetes. This would enable organizations to modernize infrastructure and accelerate cloud native adoption without the need to refactor every application first.
Leading enterprise organizations including Lufthansa, Bosch, Siemens, and T-Systems trust Kubermatic on their cloud native journey. The company is headquartered in Hamburg Germany and was founded in 2016 by Sebastian Scheele and Julian Hansert.