EDB, a prominent contributor to PostgreSQL and an open-source pioneer, has announced the worldwide instant availability of EDB 14, their flagship PostgreSQL platform. The latest version of EDB introduces enterprise-grade features like extreme high availability and multi-master replication, which are required for today’s mission-critical applications.
Further improvements to EDB’s Oracle database compatibility technology would enable smoother migration, which is essential for the growing number of enterprises shifting to the cloud.
“Postgres is the fastest growing database platform worldwide with rapid adoption by developers and enterprises,” said Marc Linster, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at EDB. “With EDB 14, we’ve pushed Postgres even further to support our customers’ most demanding workloads and help them migrate faster at a lower total cost of ownership. This release offers even more incentive for businesses to move away from traditional databases and get onto Postgres now, or get more from it if they’re already there.”
To sum up, highlights of EDB 14 would include:
- Extreme high availability – Through its novel multi-master replication capabilities, Postgres-BDR, a component of the EDB 14 version, would allow users to operate PostgreSQL with 99.999 percent availability. Clients may use multi-master replication to run their PostgreSQL databases in ‘Always On’ architectures with no downtime for updates and upgrades, which can be crucial for keeping their databases functioning optimally and securely.
- Enhanced Oracle database compatibility – EDB Postgres Advanced Server provides features that would boost Oracle database compatibility even more. Clients that want to migrate applications or data from Oracle to PostgreSQL to take advantage of its greater usability and lower operating and license costs might need this capability.
- Improved DevOps for PostgreSQL – Another component of EDB 14 is EDB’s Cloud Native PostgreSQL, which would allow Kubernetes users to fully utilize PostgreSQL as their database of choice. Connection pooling is included in this newest version of Cloud Native PostgreSQL, allowing workloads with numerous concurrent connections to operate in Kubernetes, supporting applications with even larger user demands than previously.
- Deployment flexibility – Clients of PostgreSQL may use EDB 14 in a variety of ways, including utilizing EDB’s BigAnimal. It’s a fully managed PostgreSQL database in the cloud with Oracle database technology compatibility. Clients can also self-manage their database on premises.
- Choice of PostgreSQL distributions – Clients may select between open source, EDB, or a combination of PostgreSQL distributions and tools using the EDB 14 platform, which has been tested with PostgreSQL 14 and EDB Postgres Advanced Server 14.
“With EDB 14, we’ve pushed Postgres even further to support our customers’ most demanding workloads and help them migrate faster at a lower TCO,” said Marc Linster, CTO at EDB.