Rackspace, one of the world’s largest cloud hosting providers, has announced five significant enhancements to its hybrid cloud capabilities. Enhancements to the portfolio include managed guest OS and external storage for VMware on AWS, as well as advanced Kubernetes and container enablement services.
Rackspace’s expanded hybrid cloud portfolio also includes advanced cloud native support leveraging “reliability engineering”, managed security services, and application and data integration.
By expanding its hybrid cloud capabilities while delivering a fully integrated portfolio of hybrid cloud services, Rackspace intends to provide customers with the ability to offload the complexity of deploying, integrating and managing applications. These new services would further customers’ ability to benefit from the scalability and flexibility of the public cloud.
“We are in the midst of a significant hybrid cloud movement with over $1 trillion of spend allocated toward cloud and associated IT services,” said Lee James, Chief Technology Officer EMEA at Rackspace. “Our new set of advanced hybrid cloud services moves the discussion into a wider IT community from software developers to chief information security officers. The foundation of our hybrid cloud capability is our AIOps platform which accelerates the value of the cloud to customers, ensuring their environments are running smoothly with near-zero downtime.”
Rackspace’s hybrid cloud portfolio is underpinned by AIOps technology, proactively monitoring and managing the platform in the background to identify potential technical challenges. It manages the volumes of tickets that are sent daily, grouping the alerts to enable Rackspace teams to work cohesively on a single situation and resolve incidents faster.
New hybrid cloud offerings deliverd by Rackspace would include:
- Managed VMware Cloud on AWS – Customers would now be able to leverage VMware HCX and Managed Guest OS Services for their VMware Cloud on AWS workloads, with availability of Managed External Storage coming soon. With these capabilities, Rackspace is able to offer customers a hybrid-interconnect to enable “fast, simple and secured” application migration and mobility between VMware-based private clouds and VMware Cloud on AWS, increased storage scalability without the need to purchase additional hosts, and access to ‘Rackspace Fanatical Support’ for operating systems on customer VMs.
- Advanced Kubernetes and container services – Rackspace now provides professional and managed services to help customers incorporate container architectures into their hybrid cloud strategies. These capabilities would provide customers with the tools and expertise they need to modernize their applications on “agile, cost-effective” container-based infrastructures.
- Advanced cloud-native support – With their new ‘Cloud Reliability Engineering Service Block’, a Rackspace infrastructure engineering team will work with the customer’s in-house IT team to provide “expert” support through close collaboration on infrastructure projects to help enable transformation and the adoption of cloud-native capabilities.
- Rackspace Managed Security (RMS) Service Blocks – The portfolio has been expanded to provide ‘Proactive Detection and Response and Compliance Assistance’ services to customers on VMware private clouds. Additionally, RMS Service Blocks for Managed Public Cloud customers are being expanded to provide support for native security tools on all the leading public clouds, beginning with AWS. The functionality will be integrated into Rackspace’s Managed Security portfolio and will provide customers with a single pane of glass view into their security landscape.
- Integration and API Management Assessment – With this new assessment, Rackspace evaluates the current state of application and data integration across the entire organization, including hybrid IT deployments. Rackspace provides integration recommendations that are intended to accelerate business goals and strategies, enabling businesses “to create new business models, accelerate products and services, and deliver superior customer experiences.”