Microsoft has made the standalone version of Microsoft Defender for Business generally available. Defender for Business provides SMBs with enterprise-level endpoint protection, including endpoint detection and response capabilities to safeguard against ransomware and other advanced cyberthreats.
SMBs receive multilayered protection, detection, and response with Defender for Business, which spans the five phases of the NIST cybersecurity architecture – identify, defend, detect, respond, and recover – to protect and remediate against known and undiscovered threats.
Built-in policies in Defender for Business would let clients get up and running quickly. By continually identifying and automatically remediating numerous threats, Defender for Business’s automated investigation and remediation features help automate the sort of work performed by specialist SecOps teams.
U.S. SMB Security Survey Results
Microsoft conducted an online quantitative survey of more than 150 small and medium enterprises in the United States in April 2022 to better understand changing SMB security demands. According to the report, more than 70 percent of SMBs believe cyberthreats are becoming more of a commercial concern. Nearly one-quarter of small businesses questioned said they had had a security breach in the previous year.
Despite the fact that SMBs face identical threats as enterprises, they would frequently lack the necessary resources and capabilities, including trained security personnel. Traditional antivirus solutions are still used by many small businesses, according to the report. Despite the fact that 80 percent of SMBs say they have an antivirus solution, 93 percent are concerned about the expanding and developing nature of cyberattacks.
“Microsoft believes in security for all,” said Vasu Jakkal, CVP, security, compliance & identity at Microsoft. “We are proud to further deliver on that vision today. With the general availability of Defender for Business, SMBs will get greater protection with simplified security to help them better protect, detect and respond to threats.”
Microsoft Defender for Business Features
The Microsoft Defender for Business product features would include:
- Threat and vulnerability management – helps identify and concentrate on the flaws that offer the most danger to the company. Discover, prioritize, and remediate software vulnerabilities and misconfigurations to develop a safe foundation for your environment.
- Attack surface reduction options – help reduce the attack surface (the number of places on your devices and apps where your firm is exposed to assaults), giving bad actors fewer options for launching attacks.
- Next-generation protection – Antimalware and antivirus protection on devices and in the cloud help to avoid and guard against attacks.
- Endpoint detection and response – delivers behavioral-based detection and reaction alerts so you may discover and eliminate persistent dangers in your environment.
- Auto-investigation and remediation – help scale security operations by examining alerts and taking immediate action to resolve attacks for customers. By reducing alert volume and remediating threats, Microsoft Defender for Business would enable SMBs to prioritize tasks and focus on more sophisticated threats.