Managed WordPress hosting provider WP Engine has acquired StudioPress, creators of the Genesis Framework – a popular theme framework for millions of WordPress sites worldwide. Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
Genesis, and its accompanying suite of WordPress website themes helps enterprises, startups, and agencies to accelerate the building of website experiences. Previously owned by Rainmaker Digital LLC, the acquisition of the StudioPress product line would help strengthen WP Engine’s WordPress Digital Experience Platform, allowing ”faster time-to-market with greater ease and agility.”
When HostingJournalist.com started its daily international technology news feed in 2013, we also launched our global platform on the Genesis Framework. Quite successful, we must say. We were definitely happy with the managed WordPress technology being delivered. In November last year when announcing a strategic alliance agreement with OnlineTalentLab B.V. – a Dutch web development company part of a family of global media brands owned by international media entrepreneur Donald Wiedemeyer – we migrated HostingJournalist.com to a whole new and more mature environment to support further growth, but as said, it all started with a great digital experience using the Genesis Framework from StudioPress.
StudioPress Suite for WordPress
StudioPress is a suite of WordPress solutions that includes
- Genesis – one of the world’s most popular WordPress theme frameworks combining design, layouts, SEO, performance, interoperability/modularity and support. It offers important benefits such as allowing brands to switch “safely and easily” between themes, even when doing so at scale. The framework also allows brands to incorporate new technologies more simply.
- StudioPress Themes – a collection of over 60 professionally designed, SEO-optimized, mobile-responsive themes built with Genesis that support a number of vertical use cases.
“The Genesis Framework is the world’s favorite way to build breakthrough WordPress sites,” said Heather Brunner, Chairwoman, and CEO of WP Engine. “We welcome this incredible community who has contributed to this success and we will invest in its continued expansion. We firmly believe this combination of our engine, the world’s leading digital experience platform, with the Genesis framework will power the next generation of world-class websites for our customers.”
WordPress Digital Experience Platform
The acquisition of StudioPress would strengthen and extend WP Engine’s WordPress Digital Experience Platform.
- Investment and integration – WP Engine plans to invest in the continued development of the open source Genesis Framework as well as build future solutions that leverage the framework. Further, the Genesis Framework will be integrated tightly into the WP Engine Digital Experience Platform so it would perform even better.
- “Faster, more elegant digital experiences” – StudioPress Themes allows WP Engine to offer dozens of highly optimized and responsive themes that look great right out of the box.
- Ecosystem expansion – The addition of StudioPress expands WP Engine’s support for third-party plugins and products created to add functionality or support for the use of the Genesis Framework. It also provides additional content in support of the framework and the ecosystem on WP Engine’s publications like Torque and the WP Engine blog.