To meet the demands of today’s web, cloud hosting, and embedded applications, Oracle has released version 5.7 of MySQL. The enhancements in this “Developer Milestone Release” would improve performance, scalability and manageability of Oracle’s database solution.
Oracle states that its open source database is 2x faster than MySQL 5.6 and over 3x faster than MySQL 5.5 in benchmark tests.
“The latest MySQL 5.7 development milestone release delivers enhanced performance and management features to the MySQL community,” said Tomas Ulin, vice president, MySQL Engineering, Oracle. “By encouraging ongoing community participation and following the “release early, release often” model, we help shorten the feedback-to-delivery cycle and allow users to get faster access to improved product capabilities and quality.”
Key features of the enhanced Oracle MySQL solution include:
Performance and Scalability
- Oracle MySQL Developer Milestone Release (DMR) 5.7.4 provides performance and throughput improvements for Solid State Disks (SSD).
- Improved InnoDB buffer pool and metadata locking deliver higher throughput, performance and scalability.
- MySQL semi-synchronous replication performance enhancements.
- Benchmark tests using SysBench Read-only Point-Selects, at 1024 connections, would have resulted in MySQL 5.7 delivering 512,000 QPS, 2x better than MySQL 5.6, and 3x better than MySQL 5.5.
- Optimizer enhancements would provide more accurate cost calculations.
- Performance Schema improvements, including added instrumentation.
- Security enhancements, including Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256-bit encryption and new options for password management.
Other features include:
- Part of MySQL Utilities, MySQL Fabric would deliver high availability with automatic failure detection and failover as well as scale out through data sharding.
- MySQL Workbench 6.1 delivers additional capabilities for performance assessment and query optimization including: New performance dashboard and reports; Enhanced Explain plans to help optimize query performance; New MySQL “SYS” Schema, providing simplified views on MySQL performance schema, instrumentation schema and more.
- MySQL Workbench helps to easily migrate from Microsoft SQL Server.