Platform9, an open-source SaaS managed solutions provider for private and edge clouds, has unveiled a fully managed bare metal solution, Platform9 Managed Bare Metal. It will help IT teams transform their installed physical dedicated servers into bare metal clouds, leveraging the API-driven “automation and simplicity” of Platform9’s SaaS managed experience and bare metal controller.
“Historically, bare metal limitations have stymied cloud deployments,” said Madhura Maskasky, co-founder and VP of Product of Platform9. “Examples of inefficiencies include entire hypervisors consumed by single applications that demand 100% CPU/RAM, leaving the hypervisor as an impediment to performance as no viable physical server orchestration option exists. This results in hypervisors’ licenses being wasted and physical dedicated servers sitting idly waiting for the perfectly sized workload.”
Top capabilities of the new Platform9 Managed Bare Metal Orchestration Platform would include:
- Enabling high application performance – The solution allows applications to run at full performance without contention combined with the operational simplicity of a public cloud. It can help IT Teams to easily deploy and manage performance sensitive workloads, including Big Data, Analytics, and Databases.
- Building private clouds with little effort and high flexibility – The Platform9 SaaS Managed Bare Metal solution enables operations teams to build and manage private clouds with a single click, leveraging bare metal orchestration integrated “seamlessly” with Platform9 Managed Kubernetes and OpenStack solutions. This would allow IT to quickly adopt the bare metal environment to changing dev/test or business needs, from hypervisor to container cluster to database server and any future role.
- Running both Kubernetes and Edge on bare metal – Organizations globally are trying to leverage Kubernetes on physical dedicated servers. With this Platform9 Managed Bare Metal solution, organizations running Kubernetes can orchestrate their physical dedicated servers with little effort. It would provide the full power of API driven orchestrations for bare metal infrastructure for any application, data center or edge.
With Platform9 Managed Bare Metal, IT teams can build out private and edge clouds. It would allow quick deployment of bare metal clouds, virtualization stacks, and containers with Kubernetes in multiple use cases including:
- On premises bare metal cloud – The solution would support the rapid build out of high performance on-premise bare metal clouds and automated deployment of performance-sensitive workloads directly on physical dedicated servers, such as databases, big data, analytics, and AI/ML.
- 5G Telco Edge – Fully automated deployment of vRAN or packet core software at tens of thousands of cell tower/remote telco edge locations, using Platform9’s Managed Bare Metal capability combined with virtualization and/or Kubernetes offerings. Provisioning and managing bare metal servers distributed to such edge locations is a significant part of enabling these technologies. Eliminating the need to manually manage these edge servers would significantly reduce the effort in distributing these technologies across geographical boundaries.
- Retail Edge – Bare metal can fully automate remote deployment of thousands of retail stores end to end use using remote bare metal orchestration capability combined with Platform9’s virtualization and/or Kubernetes offerings.
“Our latest product release addresses a long standing problem faced by IT, DevOps, and SRE teams – how to best realize the potential of their bare metal server deployments and face the challenges of new edge deployments across numerous industries,” added Maskasky. “For example, one of the largest coffee chains in the world is leveraging our bare metal management capability to provide ‘zero touch’ automation and updates for their full hardware and software stacks in thousands of coffee stores around the country. This allows them to centrally and remotely deploy and manage a variety of virtual and container applications and associated servers within their stores.”
The Platform9 Managed Bare Metal solution is available now. It can both be purchased as a standalone solution or as fully integrated with Platform9 Managed Openstack (PMO) and Platform9 Managed Kubernetes (PMK).