PLUMgrid, a provider of secured and scalable SDN and NFV solutions for containers and OpenStack cloud environments, has announced CloudSecure with the upcoming release of PLUMgrid Open Networking Suite (ONS) 6.0 and CloudApex 2.0 – to deliver a comprehensive security solution.
Building on its micro-segmentation and security service insertion technologies, PLUMgrid re-enforced its security solution with new policy-based virtual tap, monitoring and visualization of security policies, and an ecosystem of security offerings including Intel’s Open Security Controller, Fortinet Fortigate NGFW, Check Point security solutions and Rackspace Private Cloud.
As applications are increasingly developed, tested and deployed on ephemeral infrastructure such as containers and virtual machines, the need for segmentation, multi-tenancy, security, and analytics has become crucial to ensure environments are constantly protected and compliant.
CloudSecure would help PLUMgrid customers micro-segment workloads, isolate tenant traffic to contain attacks, protect applications, deploy virtual tap at scale without hardware devices, and monitor virtual networks to minimize the attack surface for software-defined data centers running private, public, or hybrid clouds.
“As network traffic patterns in data centers change, getting visibility, applying appropriate policies, having third party integration, and using good operational tools for security becomes ever more important,” said Dan Conde, analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group. “PLUMgrid’s investment in core technologies for network virtualization such as virtual domains and IO Visor is paying off as it delivers applications and solutions such as security, taps, service insertion and analytics atop their platform in efficient and integrated ways from themselves alongside their partners.”
Powered by IO Visor, CloudSecure includes a number of features that would make it easier to monitor virtual network security, including:
- CloudApex Security View – Visualizes security flows, and behaviors in an “easy to view” chord graph to diagnose security breaches.
- Micro-segmentation – Creates zero-trust domains by isolating tenant traffic and enforcing security policies for containers and virtual machines. In the event of a breach, each segmented domain contains attacks to minimize spread of malware.
- Security Policies – Provides in-depth security definitions and group-based policies that can be enforced per tenant, virtual machine, or container.
- Policy-based Virtual Tap – Deploys virtual tap points with policies to select traffic to be mirrored for monitoring, troubleshooting, and remediation.
- Security Service Insertion – Enables any third party security software to be added to PLUMgrid’s virtual network to introduce or update the latest security quickly.
- Encryption – Supports encryption between segmented virtual domains to ensure privacy and protection of data.
“Data centers are increasingly built on ephemeral infrastructure that only lasts for hours or days, instead of months or years,” said Larry Lang, CEO of PLUMgrid. “CloudSecure provides significant protection for increasingly ephemeral, multi-directional traffic flows in container and OpenStack Clouds. Combining it with CloudApex’s simplified visualizations that make it easy to monitor and diagnose breaches, enabling our customers to benefit from the agility and flexibility of these technologies without having to struggle to secure the network infrastructure.”
CloudSecure is supported by a growing ecosystem of partners that provide pervasive security for cloud and software-defined data centers including Check Point, Fortinet, Intel, and Rackspace.
“Security is a universal need across any infrastructure. With the rise of containers and virtual machines, Rackspace is delivering comprehensive secure OpenStack private cloud solutions that are hardened and production-proven,” said Bryan Thompson, general manager of OpenStack Private Cloud, Rackspace. “With PLUMgrid CloudSecure, we are excited to take this solution to our customers who are deploying containers and OpenStack to offer them a choice of security firewalls and help ensure their environment is always protected.”
“Enterprises and service providers are deploying multiple security products to ensure their data centers are protected at all times,” said Manish Dave, platform architect, data center security platform division at Intel. “With Open Security Controller, security admins have a single pane of glass to orchestrate their security measures. By adding support for PLUMgrid Open Networking Suite, Open Security Controller allows container and OpenStack environments to build a secure SDN foundation and add security functions as needed.”