Listen to the audio version of this story
Chips and silicon IP provider Rambus, a global company aiming at making data faster and safer, has announced the release of its Rambus HBM3-ready memory interface subsystem consisting of a fully integrated PHY and digital controller.
Supporting data rates up to 8.4 Gigabits per second (Gbps), the Rambus HBM3-Ready Memory Subsystem would enable terabyte-scale bandwidth accelerators for artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML) and high-performance computing (HPC) applications. The new solution can deliver over a terabyte per second of bandwidth, which is more than double that of high-end HBM2E memory subsystems.
“The memory bandwidth requirements of AI/ML training are insatiable with leading-edge training models now surpassing billions of parameters,” said Soo Kyoum Kim, associate vice president, Memory Semiconductors at IDC. “The Rambus HBM3-ready memory subsystem raises the bar for performance enabling state-of-the-art AI/ML and HPC applications.”
Package Reference Designs
In addition to the fully integrated HBM3-ready memory subsystem, Rambus provides its clients with interposer and package reference designs to speed their products to market.
“With the performance achieved by our HBM3-ready memory subsystem, designers can deliver the bandwidth needed by the most demanding designs,” said Matt Jones, general manager of Interface IP at Rambus. “Our fully-integrated PHY and digital controller solution builds on our broad installed base of HBM2 customer deployments and is backed by a full suite of support services to ensure first-time right implementations for mission-critical AI/ML designs.”
To sum up, key features of the Rambus HBM3-ready Memory Interface Subsystem would include:
- Supports up to 8.4 Gbps data rate delivering bandwidth of 1.075 Terabytes per second (TB/s)
- Reduces ASIC design complexity and speeds time to market with fully-integrated PHY and digital controller
- Delivers full bandwidth performance across all data traffic scenarios
- Supports HBM3 RAS features
- Includes built-in hardware-level performance activity monitor
- Provides access to Rambus system and SI/PI experts helping ASIC designers to ensure maximum signal and power integrity for devices and systems
- Includes 2.5D package and interposer reference design as part of IP license
- Features LabStation development environment that enables quick system bring-up, characterization and debug
- Enables the highest performance in applications including state-of-the-art AI/ML training and high-performance computing (HPC) systems