Chinese cloud provider Tencent has joined the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) as a Platinum sponsor. Tencent is the first company from China to become a Platinum Sponsor of the ASF. The company is joining other ASF Platinum sponsors including global IaaS hosting provider Leaseweb, as well as Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Cloudera, Comcast, Oath, and Pineapple Fund.
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Apache Software Foundation oversees more than 350 open source projects, including web server software Apache HTTP Server.
Tencent is the first company from China to become a Platinum sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation. Numerous individuals employed by Tencent are active contributors to several Apache projects, including Hadoop, HBase, Hive, MXNet (incubating), Parquet, and Spark.
Other ASF Sponsors joined by Tencent include:
- Gold – Anonymous, ARM, Bloomberg, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, Indeed, ODPi, Pivotal;
- Silver – Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Budget Direct, Capital One, Cerner, Private Internet Access, Red Hat, Target, Union Investment
- Bronze – Airport Rentals, The Best VPN, The Blog Starter, Bookmakers, Cash Store, Casino Bonus, Casino2k, Cloudsoft, Emerio, HostChecka.com, HostingAdvice.com, HostPapa Web Hosting, The Linux Foundation, Mobile Slots, SCAMS.info, Site Builder Report, Talend, Twitter, Web Hosting Secret Revealed
- Platinum Targeted – DLA Pipser, Microsoft, Oath, OSU Open Source Labs, Sonatype
- Gold Targeted – Atlassian, The CrytpoFund, Datadog, PhoenixNAP, Quenda
- Silver Targeted – Amazon Web Services (AWS), Hotwax Systems, Rackspace
- Bronze Targeted – Assembla, Bintray, Education Networks of America, Google, Hopsie, No-IP, PagerDuty, Peregrine Computer Consultants Corporation, Sonic.net, SURFnet, Virtru
“We are pleased to welcome Tencent, whose generosity, along with that of our other sponsors, offsets our day-to-day operating costs,” said Phil Steitz, Chairman of Apache Software Foundation. “Sponsoring the ASF helps us successfully shepherd more than 300 projects and their communities, mentor dozens of open source innovations in the Apache Incubator, deepen community outreach, and furthers our mission of providing software for the public good ‘The Apache Way’.”