The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) has welcomed VMware as its latest sponsor at the Platinum level. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) not-for-profit charitable organization aimed at open-source software development. Examples of hosting and cloud companies supporting the ASF include phoenixNAP, Leaseweb, Alibaba Cloud, and AWS.
The Apache Software Organization, founded in 1999, is one of the world’s biggest open-source foundations, stewarding 227 million lines of code and offering more than $22 billion in free software to the public. The ASF is comprised of volunteer software engineers and specialists that have contributed to the development of hundreds of software applications throughout the world, including Apache CloudStack, Hadoop, Cassandra, and the Apache HTTP Web Server.
“Some of the most important open source projects are ASF projects. VMware customers build and deploy a wide range of products built using the Apache HTTP Server, Tomcat, and Geode, among others,” said Dawn Foster, Director of Open Source Community Strategy at VMware. “We are delighted to support the ASF with our sponsorship in addition to the contributions our team members have been making to projects like Apache Geode. It is important to support neutral foundations, like the ASF, that create a level playing field for open-source projects where we can all collaborate together as equals.”
300 Apache Projects
To sum up, VMware joins the following organizations:
- Platinum level – Amazon Web Services, Facebook, Google, Huawei, Microsoft, Namebase, Pineapple Fund, Tencent Cloud, and Yahoo!
- Gold level – Anonymous, Baidu, Bloomberg, Cloudera, Confluent, IBM, Indeed, Union Investment, and Workday
- Silver level – Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Capital One, Comcast, Didi Chuxing, Red Hat, Replicated, Talend, and Target
- Bronze level – Bestecasinobonussen.nl, Cafe24, Cerner, Crafter CMS, Curity, Goread.io Followers, GridGain, HotWax Systems, LeoVegas Indian Online Casino, Miro-Kredit AG, Paf, PureVPN, RX-M, RenaissanceRe, Sentry, Software Guru DevRel, Technology Innovation Institute, The Blog Starter, Twitter, and Writers Per Hour
- Platinum level – Amazon Web Services (AWS), CloudBees, DLA Piper, Fastly, GitHub, JetBrains, JFrog, Leaseweb, Microsoft, OSU Open Source Labs, Sonatype, and Yahoo!;
Gold level – Atlassian, Datadog, DinoSource, Docker, and PhoenixNAP
- Silver level – Hotwax Systems, Instaclustr, Rackspace, Xiaomi
- Bronze level – Education Networks of America, Friend of Apache Cordova, Google, Hopsie, No-IP, PagerDuty, Peregrine Computer Consultants Corporation, Sonic.net, SURFnet, and Virtru
“We are happy to welcome VMware as a Platinum Sponsor,” said Bob Paulin, ASF Vice President Fundraising. “Sponsoring the ASF provides essential funds and services that enable us to support more than 300 Apache Projects and their communities on a day-to-day basis. We are grateful for VMware’s generosity as it helps us further our mission of providing software for the public good.”